Sutras of a Winesoaked Buddha

Dispatches from the Rucksack Revolution

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Change of Plans

“Should I Stay or Should I Go” is not one of my favorite Clash songs. I think the Combat Rock album (except for “Straight to Hell” which may be the best Clash song) is fairly weak; especially in comparison to he highly underrated Sandinista album recorded in Kingston.

I haven’t even started writing anything and I’m already distracted. This doesn’t bode well for the patience of the reader. Fight on dear reader.

Anyways the decision to stay or go has been looming on the minds of pretty much the entire JET community. And let me tell you, deciding to stay a 3rd and final year on JET was not an easy decision.

Q: “WHAT?! Another year? But I thought you were going to go to graduate school/London/Rome/home?”

Yeah I know, I know. But let me explain my decision.

-The main reason I’m staying is that I’m extremely interested in the postgraduate program I’m doing in International Relations. I think people have a vague idea of what it is, but I think I should explain it a little better.

The program is through the University of London’s external program with the London School of Economics as the university in charge of my particular program. I’m taking 2 upper division undergraduate courses as well as 2 graduate level courses. I study on my own reading books and journals online, and in June I will take an examination in 2 of the 4 courses required.

-My original plan was to bust my ass, buckle down and finish all 4 of the required courses at the same time. I’ve recently decided to sit only two of the exams this year and will sit the other two next year. I’ve done this for two reasons. First, after talking to others studying externally in the same program, I’ve learned sitting 4 exams is only really possible if you’re a full time student. Secondly, I really like the course work and by splitting the course into two years, I’ll have longer to digest the material.

So that’s the main reason I’m staying.

Q: Why don’t you just go to grad school right off?

That’s a better question. Actually I really want to go to grad school, and I will, I just want to get course taken care of first. One step at a time. I’ve always had a very difficult time in seeing things through to the end, and I want to see this thing through. Plus my grades as an undergraduate weren’t very good and I’m changing my field of study, so a big name certificate from LSE will make the transition into graduate school less jarring.

Q: But I thought Japan and teaching ESL drove you crazy

Yeah pretty much. But lately I’ve really found my stride out here. I’ve got a routine that suits me very well. My biggest problem was finding meaning in what I’m doing. Because of this academic stuff, I have a better reason to be here in the Japanese countryside then just the “experience”. Also staying in quiet Kamiichi, doing a job that requires a fraction of my brain and time, and having the cash to easily pay for the tuition fees makes studying easier. Plus I want to continue a career in education so staying adds another scape to my teaching belt.

Q: What about moving to Tokyo or another country and finishing the course there?

The idea of moving to Tokyo and studying is laughable. Moving to another country would of course be cool, but I know the situation here and I’ve found a way to make it work for me. Believe it or not, Kamiichi and Toyama have really grown on me.

Q: Is there any other bullshit you want to feed us?

No, not really. I could sing songs about how I really want to speak Japanese well, but when it comes down to it, all I really want to be able to do is hold conversations. Learning Japanese is priority number 3 out here.

Q: Are you ever coming home?

...

2 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

That's some fine rationalisationing there.

Dont get jaded and bitter though like some third years. jaded and bitter Max would not be pretty.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just signed my papers this morning. Now comes the fun part of telling my supervisor I want to move. Hope this goes over.

Shaz

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home